- Director, Institute for Research in Anticipatory Systems
Ashbel Smith Professor in Interactive Arts, Technology, and Computer Science,
University of Texas at Dallas School of Arts and Humanities, since summer 2004
- Senior Fellow, Pell Center for International Relations and Public Policy, Salve Regina University, Newport, RI, 2004
- Researcher, project leader, and organizer of the symposium Recollections The best is yet to come.
25 Years Computer Science at the University of Bremen. Project, April-October 2003;
Symposium, with interactive computer presentations of student work, 9 October 2003
- Director, BISC Special Interest Group in Anticipatory Computing, Berkeley Initiative in Soft Computing,
University of California-Berkeley, since 2002
- Director, Anticipation-the end is where we start from. Project presented at the Open House, Ab in die Mitte,
University of Wuppertal, Germany, 25-26 October 2001
- Panel moderator: Is today's educational system still appropriate in the Third Millennium?
(Passt unsere Ausbildung an den Hochschulen noch fü r das dritte Jahrtausend?), 11 May 2001;
- Where is Design Heading? Will the future be all digital?
(Wohin geht's mit dem "Designen"? Zukunftserwartungen: Digitales auf der ganzen Front?), 12 May 2001;
At World Congress for Stage Design, Showtech Messe, Berlin, 10-13 May 2001
- Concept for a design program at Stanford University
(with C. Byrnes, H. Dubberly, N. Felde, J. Faris, P. Pangaro) April-June 1999.
- Organizer of the Section Semiotics: the conceptual engine of the digital revolution at the VII World Congress
of the International Association of Semiotic Studies, Dresden, October 1999.
- Member of Perception/Art Conversation , Getty Research Center for the History of Art and the Humanities.
A discussion among experts in cognition, semiotics, the arts, engineering, and communication in preparation for
the Getty Program 2001-2002: Perception, Experience, Judgment. Los Angeles CA, 5-6 May 1999.
- Introduction and moderation of panel discussion Form Interacts with Function:
Concepts for customer-oriented multimedia design ; and Panel member, Learning with Multimedia Technology:
What kind of education do we need? At Envisioning Knowledge:the Knowledge Society and the New Media ,
3rd International Congress of the Academy for the Third Millennium, Burda Media, Munich, 3-4 February 1999.
- Organizer, International Colloquium: From Bauhaus to Thinkhouse , and Digital Design 2000+ ,
premiere Webcast ,1-3 December 1998.
- Collaboration with WDR (the largest state television network in Germany) in the field of virtual sets,
since February 1998.
- Participant in round-table discussion on methods and means for science and technology transfer from
institutions of higher learning to the industry, NRW Ministery of Science and Education, December 1997.
- Co-founder of @computational design, a company for new media and Internet applications based on
knowledge and technology transfer provided through the university program I established.
(A cooperative arrangement between the university and the company defines the means and methods for
the transfer.) @computational design provides services and development, integrating programming and
design in new concepts for multimedia communication and world wide Web transactions.
- Organized and incorporated Head of Design, a not-for-profit association in support of the Design Program at
the University of Wuppertal, June 1997.
- Multimedia Forum, Digital Dissemination of Knowledge - Cognitive Aspects of Visualization.
Cologne, Germany, 8-11 June 1997.
- Member of jury for Design Innovation 96: Communication, Media, and Recreational Technology,
Design Zentrum NRW, 20 February 1997.
- World-Wide Web and Multimedia, Session for Communication Association of Germany, May, 1996.
- Advisor for the overseas Ph.D. program of the Egyptian Ministry of Education, since 1996.
- Organized Internet Session for the Chamber of Commerce of the of Bergisches Land District,
Germany, 22 May 1996.
- Co-director (with Frieder Nake, Peter Andersen) of the conference on Information Science and Semiotics , at the Dagstuhl International Seminar and Research Center for Information Science, Germany, 19-23 February 1996.
- Organizer, Nationwide Alias/Wavefront User Group Meeting (Theme: 3-D Design),
Wuppertal, Germany, 21-22 September 1995.
- Initiator and Director, Center for Competence, Wuppertal, Germany. Applications for multimedia,
network technology, and CAD for business, industry, education, medicine, since 1995.
- Campus partner with Alias/Wavefront. Designed complete courseware for Alias V.6.0, Alias V.7.0,
and Alias V.8.0 Design and Animation, 1994-1998.
- Member of Editorial Board of Real-Time Imaging , an international journal of fundamental multidisciplinary
imaging technologies and application areas, London: Academic Press, since 1993.
- Speaker at The Bearable Lightness of the Sign , an international symposium in commemoration of Max Bense;
the foundation of information aesthetics and its application in computer graphics.
With the participation of Ivan Illich, Roger Penrose, Peter Weibel. Hamburg, 5-7 February 1993.
- Chairman of session Peirce and Manifestations of the Mind (Artificial Intelligence),
Charles S. Peirce Sesquicentennial International Congress, Harvard University, 8 September 1989.
- Initiator and organizer of the Fashion Institute of Technology Art and Design Lecture Series
(among speakers: Geoffrey Beene, Lou Dorfsman, Tom Hoving, Pamela McCorduck, Leslie Wexner, Himan Brown),
- Initiator and organizer of symposium, Photography: The Second Revolution , Columbus, OH, 21-22 April 1988.
- Organizer of exhibit of David Hockney's works (special show made available by the artist),
Columbus Museum of Art, April 1988.
- Initiator and organizer of symposium, The Cognitive Condition of Design ,Columbus, OH, 26-27 March 1987.
- Organizer of and speaker at colloquium Visualization of Complex Data at National Radio Astronomy Laboratory,
Very Large Array, Socorro, New Mexico, 21 November l986.
- Initiator and coordinator of Advanced Computing Center for Art and Design, Ohio State University
(developed idea, parameters, technical aspects, coordinated meetings with similar institutions), 1985-1986.
- Custodial function: exhibit organizer for paintings of Ion Dreptu, dissident Romanian painter, Van Der Heydt Museum,
Wuppertal,Germany. February-April, 1986; and Nicolae Gallery, Columbus, OH. October-November, 1986.
- Workshop Leader: Wo lernen die Professoren die Computerkunst?
(Where Do Professors Learn the Art of Computers?),
College of the Arts, University of Essen, Germany, 8 May 1986.
- Workshop Leader: Computers for Third World Countries , with participation of students and faculty from Egypt,
Poland, Ivory Coast, Yugoslavia, and representatives of UNESCO, University of Wuppertal, Germany, 7 May 1986.
- Workshop Leader: Interface Design: A Semiotic Paradigm. Applications on the Leading Edge ;
4th Annual Pacific Northwest Computer Graphics Conference, University of Oregon Continuation Center, Eugene,
OR, 27-29 October 1985.
- Chairman and organizer of panel, The Aesthetics of Computer Graphics , Annual SIGGRAPH Conference,
San Francisco, 22-26 July 1985.
- Chairman and organizer of special session, The Semiotics of User-Computer Interface ,
Ninth Annual Meeting of the Semiotic Society of America, Bloomington, IN, 11-14 October 1984.
- Member of the Board of Directors and Vice President of the Association for Computer Art and Design Education,
- Exhibit (with Prof. Richard Zakia): The Semiotics of Advertisement ,
Rochester Institute of Technology, 25-30 April 1984.
- Organizer of international symposium, Communication in the Post-Industrial Age,
Rochester Institute of Technology, 25-27 April 1984.
- Advisor to Graduate Program in Computer Graphics, Rochester Institute of Technology, 1983-1984.
- Chairman, Committee for Computer Literacy, Rhode Island School of Design, Providence, 1981-1985.
- President, Nadin & Ockerse, Ltd. (consulting for design strategies, visual communication, CAD, problem solving),
- Initiator and co-director of the Annual Workshop in Applied Semiotics, Rhode Island School of Design, 1982-1985.
- Member of Educom Task Force, since 1982.
- Established the working group for aesthetics and semiotics at the IX International Congress for Aesthetics,
Dubrovnik, Yugoslavia, August 1980.
- Art and Computers, exhibit at the University of Essen (own work included here), 1980.
- Established Working Group for Semiotic Studies in Theater at the 2nd Congress of the
International Association of Semiotic Studies, Vienna, July 1979.
- Translator (texts on philosophy, science, fiction) into Romanian from German, Russian, French, Hungarian,
- Editor of Kodikas/Code-Ars Semeiotica , an international journal of semiotics, 1980-1987.
- Permanent contributor to Zeitschrift für Semiotik, the journal of the German Society of Semiotics, Berlin.
- Associate editor, Semiosis, Baden-Baden: Agis Verlag (1977-1979).
- Organizer of retrospective exhibit, Mattis-Teutsch in the Avantgarde , Friedrich Museum, Cologne, Germany, 1978.
- Jury member at several international festivals (Annecy Animation Film Festival, Varna, Mamaia).
- ASTRA Art Shows, a forum for modern art and literature, Brasov, 1976-1978